Several bystanders were also injured.
Gaza car blast kills one
Nov. 3 - A car explodes in Gaza City, leaving one dead and injuring another-- and Hamas says Israel is to blame. Travis Brecher reports.
Israel claims assassination in Gaza
Published yesterday (updated) 04/11/2010 09:10
Source: Maan News Agency
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israel's military claimed the assassination of a Gaza fighter hours after the 27-year-old was killed by an explosion that destroyed a car he was driving.
The military, which initially declined to comment, said Muhammad Jamal Nimnim was a senior leader in the Salafist military group Jaish Al-Islam (Army of Islam) and had been "personally involved in directing several terror attacks against Israeli targets in recent years."
Nimnim was killed in his car in Gaza City, and one other man, who witnesses said was a passenger in the vehicle, was injured and taken to hospital. Several bystanders were also injured.
Palestinian witnesses and security officials told the German news agency DPA that the explosion in the car was caused by a bomb planted under the driver's seat.
Lieutenant Colonel Avital Leibovich of the Israeli military told DPA, "I don't want to tell you exactly how this happened, but he was targeted with a bomb."
Earlier witnesses told Ma'an the explosion was the result of a bomb dropped by an unmanned Israeli drone. The Interior Ministry in Gaza also reported earlier in the day that the explosion was the result of a drone strike.
In its statement claiming the assassination, Israel's army said Nimnim had recently assisted in "directing a terror attack against American and Israeli targets in the Sinai Peninsula, in cooperation with Hamas elements in the Gaza Strip."
Israel issued a travel warning for nationals in the Sinai following the launch of at least three shells toward the Red Sea in August. Two landed in the Jordanian port city of Aqaba, killing a cab driver, while one other landed in the Israeli port city of Eilat.
On 17 September, Israeli forces entered the home of a Hamas leader in Tulkarem and shot him dead.
The 38-year-old, Iyad As’ad Shelbaya, a known Hamas leader, was killed by three bullets to the neck and chest. At the time, the Israeli military said the man was killed when he attempted to evade arrest.
Controversy broke out over the January assassination of Hamas leader and businessman Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh, believed to have been carried out by Israeli Mossad agents.
In December 2009, Israeli forces broke into the home of four Fatah members in Nablus and executed them. At the time, military representatives said all four men were shot by soldiers as they resisted arrest.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Thursday, November 4, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos