Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:6PM GMT
Ali Rizk, Press TV, Beirut
"Israeli media has quoted defense officials as saying that unmanned drones have been deployed to protect Israeli gas fields from possible attacks by Hezbollah.
These officials reportedly said that a decision was made to conduct surveillance and reconnaissance flights over the gas fields in the Mediterranean sea on a 24 hour basis.
This is in response to statements made by Hezbollah secretary general Sayyed Hasan Nassrallah who recently cautioned Israel against extending its arm into Lebanon territorial waters believed to contain vast reserves of oil and natural gas.
Nassrallah had also warned that any Israeli attack on Lebanese oil and gas facilities would be met with a similar attack on Israeli facilities.
These developments come after Israel demarcated what it says are its maritime borders. This demarcation was disputed by Lebanon which accused Israel of infiltrating into Lebanese territorial waters and its natural resource reserves below the seabed.
The issue has raised fears of renewed conflict but the UN representative to Lebanon Michael Williams has said that both Lebanese and Israeli officials had expressed to him their desire not to escalate the situation.
Experts also believe that a new confrontation is not likely because of developments on the regional and world stage.
Many observers also view that Israel still hasn't made the military adjustments which to enable it to successfully confront Hezbollah, which is believed to have greatly increased its military might since July 2006 when it achieved success against Israel .
The tensions between Lebanon and Israel have entered the economic sphere. And while Israel could greatly benefit economically from the natural resources in the Mediterranean, any Israeli escalation could shatter Israel's economy as a result of a potential attack on its energy facilities.
News and Reports August 10, 2011- External Links
- The economic link between the tent protests and the...
- Straining Every Nerve Against UN Membership for Palestine
- Swansea Palestine Action on Israeli News
- Israeli troops attack anti-wall protest
- Sources of fun dwindle for Gaza's children
- Number of West Bankers who refuse to comply with summonses...
- PA proves ‘unserious’ about reconciliation
- Palestinian university ranks seventh in Arab world
- حصاد موقع سلوانك
- Communications cut off in Gaza Strip
- Map of the restrictions on Palestinian Movement in...
- Jewish settlers infiltrate Al-Khalil under police...
- Israeli police arrest four Jerusalemite minors
- 14 Feb.'11: B’Tselem volunteers film soldiers waking...
- Congressman: US ready to veto recognition bid
- 11 detained at rally near Bethlehem
- Fatah: Israel trying to create chaos for PA
- Analysis: Ambitious plans to boost oPt transport,...
- Campaign for UN bid launched in Ramallah
- Rightists enter Aqsa mosque compound
- Israel cuts Gaza communication lines
- Hamas: Shalit Deal Still On
- Turkey warns of worse to come in ties with Israel
- Marwan Barghouti warns of protests if US wields veto
- Hamas: No improvement at Rafah crossing
- Turkey condemns Israeli settlement expansion
- Israel's rights groups condemn 'Jews only' businesses...
- MPs: Palestinians tired of promises, want real reconciliation
- IOF arrests Al-Jazeera correspondent, 5 Palestinians...
- Israeli military prosecutor demands banishment of...
- Palestinian old woman wounded in IOF shooting
- Israel fires Dimona cook over photos
- Internet, phone service restored in Gaza
- Fatah Report Claims Dahlan Poisoned Arafat and Stole...
- Six People Detained As Israeli Army Chases Non-Violent...
- Az-Zahhar: Unity 'worthless' until government formed
- Palestinians Prisoners Languish in Administrative...
- Population of Gaza fears Israeli invasion in midst...
- Call from Gaza: Open the Rafah Crossing Now!
- US slams Israel for settlement expansion
- Iran to name street after Rachel Corrie
- Evening clashes, Molotov thrown at Beit Yonatan settlement
- Four Austalian pro-Palestine/BDS activists arrested...
- Street shut down for Jewish holiday, severe congestion
- Communications 'blackout' in Gaza
- Straining Every Nerve against UN Membership for Palestine
- on requests for #j14 solidarity
- Israel cracks down on bribery at checkpoints
- Barak: Don't cut funding to defense budget
- 'Dozens' of settlers enter West Bank holy site
- US 'deeply concerned' by settlement expansion
- Where in the World is YOUR Representative?!
- Call From Gaza: Open The Rafah Crossing Permanently...
- Egyptian ambassador breaks fast with exile-threatened...
- Bardawil: Big progress in Hamas-Fatah meet, relatives...
- Decision to release prisoner who finished sentence...
- Sabri condemns settlers’ desecration of Aqsa Mosque
- Extremist Jews invade Al-Aqsa Mosque for the second...
- IOF troops round up 17 Hamas supporters in Al-Khalil...
- IOF bulldozes Palestinian land east of Al-Khalil to...
- Like Visiting Apartheid South Africa with an Anglo-Boer...
- Managing Medical In-Kind Donations
- Time for Thyme
- Australia's repression of BDS movement coordinated...
The views expressed by the authors and/or contributors on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of Palestine Video or the other contributors thereof.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine