During the course of the second intifada, Israel also surrounded settlements with rings of land closed to Palestinians, did nothing to eliminate the phenomenon of piratical closing of land, and even retroactively approved such piratical closing with a variety of means, among them the “special security area” plan.
Since its inception, the settlement enterprise has been characterized by the instrumental, cynical, and even criminal use of international law, local legislation, Israeli military orders, and Israeli law. This use has enabled the continuous theft of land from Palestinians in the West Bank. Among its failures, Israel has ignored international humanitarian law’s explicit prohibition on establishing settlements, which it has interpreted in its own way. Israel’s interpretation has been accepted by very few jurists and has been refuted by the international community.
The process employed in taking control of land breaches the basic principles of due procedure and natural justice. In many cases, Palestinian residents were unaware that their land was registered in the name of the state, and by the time they discovered this fact, it was too late to appeal. The burden of proof always rests with the Palestinian claiming ownership of the land. Even if he meets this burden, the land may still be registered in the name of the state on the grounds that it was transferred to the settlement "in good faith."
The legal cloak that Israel has used as a cover for the settlement enterprise is aimed at concealing the continuing theft of land in the West Bank. Its actions have created a legal system in the West Bank that lacks the basic values of compliance with the law and of justice; rather, the system is to intended to serve political purposes and allow the systematic infringement of Palestinians’ human rights.
Israel uses the seized lands to benefit the settlements while prohibiting the Palestinian public from using them in any way. This use is forbidden and illegal in itself, even if the process by which the lands were taken was fair and in accordance with international and Jordanian law. As the occupier in the Occupied Territories, Israel is not permitted to ignore the needs of an entire population and to use land intended for public needs solely to benefit the settlers.
The High Court of Justice has generally sanctioned the mechanism used to take control of land. In so doing, the Court has contributed to imbuing these procedures with a mask of legality. The Court initially accepted the state's argument that the settlements met urgent military needs and allowed the state to seize private land for this purpose. When the state began to declare land "state land," the Court refused to intervene to prevent this process.
Jewish Colonists Plant 200 Vines on Palestinian Land:
HebronVoices on Aug 27, 2011
Jewish colonists planted 200 grape vines on Abu Haikal land in Tel Rumeida, Hebron, Palestine on 11 Aug 2011. The operation was carefully planned. Large areas of grass were cleared 2 weeks beforehand. Police arrived too late to prevent the operation. The video shows colonists from the illegal colony across the road setting up a new irrigation system and digging holes. 15 colonists arrived in a co-ordinated operation and planted the vines in less than 10 minutes. Israeli soldiers made no move to stop them even though the land has been declared a Closed Military Zone.
News and Reports- External Links
- Haneyya reiterates Palestinians would never surrender...
- Islamic Jihad truce 'to protect Palestinians'
- Witnesses: Settlers attack olive trees in Salfit
- Abbas: UN bid not meant to isolate US, Israel
- Hamas official says Israel 'playing with fire'
- Shaath: UN bid to go ahead 'despite US threats'
- Israel profits from the holy month of Ramadan
- 'Quds Day shows support for Palestine'
- Bahar warns Israeli occupation government against...
- Prisoners complain of headaches after scramblers planted...
- Olive Revolution: New nonviolent resistance movement...
- Hundreds of thousands of worshippers attend night...
- Israel threatened launching extensive military assault...
- Report: Egypt thwarts plan to assassinate Haniyeh
- A First Person Account of Al Quds Day at Qalandiya
- Pakistanis mark global Quds Day
- Norwegians hold Quds day rally
- Undercover Forces Kidnap Two Hamas Members In Jenin
- 'Popular Egyptian support for Palestine'
- PFLP armed wing claims 2 Ashkelon rockets
- Report: Rockets land in southern Israel overnight
- Hamas members arrested in Jenin
- Save the Khan al Ahmar School!
- Thousands of Egyptian troops deployed to Sinai
- US call for Assad resignation 'insolent'
- Israel frees journalists arrested at Bethlehem protest
- EU's Ashton to visit Ramallah, meet Abbas
- 'Palestinians must get back their land'
- Muslims mark Intl. Quds Day in Moscow
- Olive Revolution seeks free access to East Jerusalem...
- Ghana to support Palestinian UN Bid
- Paris holds International Quds Day rally
- Syrians back Palestinians against Israel
- Palestinians accept new Israeli truce
- US diplomat threatens to cut PA funds
- Israeli airstrikes kill Gazans (Travis Brecher, Reuters...
- How Israel takes its revenge on boys who throw stones...
- The Palestine Liberation Organization, the future...
- Two killed in bombing of al-Salama sport club in Beit...
- Egypt deploys 1000s of troops in Sinai
- Thousands Protest In Front Of Israeli Embassy In Cairo
- Palestinians barred from Aqsa Mosque
- Edward Said on claims to the land and the occupation...
- Israeli Army Responds with Violent Backlash at Qalandiya...
- Clashes Reported At The Qalandia Terminal
- Ufree Demands An Immediate Release Of Reporter Samer...
- Resident, Child, Injured As Army Attacks Nonviolent...
- "Wake me up, when September ends"
- Around 300 thousand worshipers attend Friday prayers...
- Gaza children injured by Israeli airstrike
- Six Protesters Wounded in Kafr Qaddoum
- Soldiers Attack Nonviolent Weekly Protest In Nil’in
- Troops Attack Nonviolent Weekly Protest in Bil’in
- Video: No Place is Safe in Gaza
- Qalandia demonstration brutally crushed
- Murdoch Press and the Fictional Jewish Chocolatier
- Republicans Attack Obama as No Friend of Israel
- Fighting stops in Gaza but fears of further violence...
- Professor Abdul-Sattar Qasem detained by PA
- Palestine: Arduous Odyssey of Statehood
- Will Cameron Vote for Palestinian Freedom?
- Hidden Histories – Book Review
- culpable on Gaza’s atrocities
- Olive Revolution in pictures: Palestinians march on...
- Official: Palestinian hurt in clash with settlers
- Police deploy in force in Jerusalem's Old City
- 'Muslims obligated to help free al-Quds'
- Israeli occupation detains lawmaker Anwar Zaboun
- Global actions target Egyptian Embassies to break...
- French giant Veolia cut down to size for abusing Palestinian...
- 'World needs to move to lift Gaza siege'
- 'Israel is trying to Judaize al-Quds'
- Azeris mark Quds Day amid crackdown
- Quds Day resolution wants end of Israel
- PA intelligence summon journalist Ali Qaraqe’
- Palestine support key in MENA uprisings
- PA: Honduras recognizes Palestinian state
- Inhumane treatment meted to lawyers visiting Palestinian...
- Israeli "Response" to Gaza: Blurring the Line
- Thousands demonstrations in Gaza to mark world Quds...
- Far-right American broadcaster seeks to reinforce...
- Egyptians hold massive anti-Israel rally
- 'Quds Day spells end of West dominion'
- 'Occupiers must leave Muslim lands'
- Israel still seeking an apology-free rapprochement...
- PFLP brigades claim rocket fired into Ashkelon
- Palestinians rally in Gaza City for Al-Quds Day
- Palestinians Thirsting for Justice in Water-Starved...
- Bahrainis defy Quds Day rally ban
- Israel prevents Quds Day rally
- Haniyeh: We will not recognize Israel
- Elderly farmer murdered in Israeli airstrike in Buriej
- Occupation renews administrative detention of Palestinian...
- Israel snipers use laser device to kill
- Gaza militant group pledges resistance of Jewish Jerusalem
- Ahmadinejad: Palestine statehood just 'step forward'
- Israel escalates attacks despite agreeing to ceasefire...
- "Settlers" Hate Tour in Hebron (planxtysumoud)
- Anti-Israel protests held in Saudi Arabia
- Israeli troops fire tear gas at protest in Qalandiya
- Report: Israel approves Egypt troop influx in Sinai
- South Africa activists visit Gaza
- 'Caging Israel restores world peace'
- 'Israel existence insults human dignity'
- Palestinian state could leave millions of refugees...
- Sent using Google Toolbar
The views expressed by the authors and/or contributors on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of Palestine Video or the other contributors thereof.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine