13th Annual Eqbal Ahmad Lecture Nov. 4: Amira Hass and Karma Nabulsi: "AMHERST, MA — Hampshire College announces speakers for the 13th Annual Eqbal Ahmad Lecture: prominent Israeli journalist and author Amira Hass and Karma Nabulsi, University of Oxford lecturer and a former PLO representative at the United Nations.
They will discuss the obstacles and possibilities for movement in the conflict between Israel and Palestine. The public is invited to the free lecture on November 4, 2010, at 4 p.m. in the Robert Crown Center on the Hampshire College campus.
Karma Nabulsi (shown right) is a fellow in politics at St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, and a university lecturer in international relations. She is the author of Traditions of War, a study of the ideological and historical foundations of the laws of war, and is currently writing the forthcoming Conspirators for Liberty: The Underground Struggle for Democracy in 19th Century Europe.
Dr. Nabulsi is director of the Civitas collective project on civic needs of Palestinian refugees and exiles, and editor of its Palestinians Register: Laying Foundations and Setting Directions. She is chair of trustees and cofounder of HOPING Foundation, a charity that raises awareness of Palestinian refugee youth and sponsors education, arts, and sports activities for young Palestinians in refugee camps across the Middle East. In the UK, she is patron of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, and a founding member of the Palestinian Women’s Union and the Palestinian Community Association. She was a member of the Palestinian delegation to the peace process in Washington D.C. in the early 1990s.
Amira Hass (shown left) has been a correspondent in the Occupied Territories for the Israeli daily Ha’aretz since the early 1990s. She lived for three years in Gaza and for the past 13 years in the West Bank city of Ramallah. Hass describes her work as “writing about the Israeli occupation and Apartheid regime and about Israelis through the experiences of Palestinians.” She also covers internal Palestinian issues.
Hass is the author of the widely acclaimed Drinking the Sea at Gaza and two books of collected articles: Domani andra peggio is a collection of columns published in the Italian weekly Internazionale. Reporting from Ramallah is a collection of Ha’aretz articles.
Born in Jerusalem to Jewish immigrants who survived the Nazi genocide, Hass also wrote the introduction to Diary of Bergen Belsen 1944-45 by her mother, Hanna Levy Hass, which was published in 2007.
The annual Eqbal Ahmad Lecture honors the teaching, scholarship, and activism of the late Eqbal Ahmad, who was a longtime Hampshire College professor. Professor Ahmad’s faculty colleagues, former students, family, and friends from around the globe have joined together to make this lecture series a continuing celebration of his life and work. Previous Eqbal Ahmad Lecturers include Kofi Annan, Edward Said, Noam Chomsky, Arundhati Roy, Seymour Hersh, and Tariq Ali.
For further information, please contact Diana Fernandez at 413.559.5521 or email@example.com.
2010 Eqbal Ahmad Lecture Series: Amira Hass:
"hampshireTV | November 17, 2010
Amira Hass has been a correspondent in the Occupied Territories for the Israeli daily Ha'aretz since the early 1990s. Hass describes her work as 'writing about the Israeli occupation and Apartheid regime and about Israelis through the experiences of Palestinians.' She also covers internal Palestinian issues. She is the author of the widely acclaimed Drinking the Sea at Gaza and two books of collected articles.
The annual Eqbal Ahmad Lecture honors the teaching, scholarship, and activism of the late Eqbal Ahmad, who was a longtime Hampshire College professor. Professor Ahmad's faculty colleagues, former students, family, and friends from around the globe have joined together to make this lecture series a continuing celebration of his life and work. Previous Eqbal Ahmad Lecturers include Kofi Annan, Edward Said, Noam Chomsky, Arundhati Roy, Seymour Hersh, Tariq Ali, Amira Hass, and others.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos