Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:7AM GMT
Gary Anthony Ramsay, Press TV, New York
"Voters here will decide in seven weeks who will replace NY Congressman Anthony Weiner who resigned in disgrace after a lewd texting scandal.
At first the two candidates appeared to focus on honesty and integrity but now both men have pulled out their “I love Israel cards”
David Weprin a Democrat.. Is opposing President Obama on Israeli foreign policy specifically Obama's call for Israel to honor 1967 pre war borders.
He is an orthodox Jew and has picked the endorsement of Jewish Senator Joe Lieberman. On the other side is Republican Bob Turner. He is not Jewish but addition to his own Obama bashing.
He has also declared his support for a strong Israel in the Middle east. Turner has also pick up endorsements and donations from high profile Jewish leaders.
International human right lawyer Lamis Jamal Deek says this race is an example of the power and reach of Israel and the Israeli lobbing arm AIPAC on US politics.
AIPAC donates billions of dollars to election campaigns every year.. to Democrats and republican. The groups also funds intellectual think tanks like the Brookings institute where Presidents including Barack Obama have sought counsel on foreign and domestic issues. To win in the ninth district you have to win the Jewish vote.
The Jewish representation in the 9th Congressional district is not like others in the country. About one third of this district of more than 600 thousand people is made up of Jews compared to the U.S . population of 300 million people where only 2 percent are Jewish.
While some see AIPAC's role on both parties as a healthy Deek its not only excessive, its dangerous.
Special elections usually draw little attention in the U.S. and fewer people come out to vote. But given the current gridlock of D.C. politics … Every seat counts…. and this election could not only help decide how Middle east policy is molded but also whose fingers are in the clay.
News and Reports:
- PressTV - Israeli settlers torch Palestinian treesfrom www.presstv.ir
- http://www.alhaq.org/etemplate.php?id=605"Q&A on Palestine’s September Initiatives at "
- Profile of MK Danny Danon, Israel’s Rising Star of...from Home
- MK Zoabi: “Racism is Part of the Ruling Consensus...from Home
- Resheq: Contacts underway with Fatah to discuss reconciliation
- Haneyya meets with Malaysian delegation in Gaza
- Miles of Smiles 4 expected in Gaza today
- Gazans receive Ramadan without full salaries
- Brutally Isolating Detainees in Israeli Prisons :...
- Weekly Report On Israeli Human Rights Violations...
- An interesting discussion on UJ
- Power cut off at Negev prison
- Egyptian authorities deny 450 Palestinian entry via...
- Three more arrested in West Bank political persecution
- Palestinian lady miscarries after choking on tear...
- Crisis of medical supplies in Gaza shoots up
- India: Israel must stop building settlements
- Gaza hospitals face critical conditions
- Civil servants' union announces strike
- Egypt turns back 450 people at Rafah crossing
- Silwan residents hurt by Israeli army
- Israel planea construir otro muro de separación, ahora...
- Alejandro Ruetter Fridman: 'Tengo la maleta hecha...
- Bassi: 'Cualquier persona con valores se identifica...
- Manifestaciones en las cárceles israelíes repletas...
- Israeli troops attack 3 non-violent protests in West...from IMEMC News
- PA urged to release prisoners for Ramadan
- Lack of supplies, fuel threatens patients in Gaza
- Israeli unit raids Wadi Hilweh, one arrested
- جيب عسكري يدهس رجل ويمنع عنه المساعدة
- Blast in central Gaza market damages storefront
- On Ramadan's eve, severe financial crunch hitting...
- Ufree condemns new indictment filed against mayor's...
- Hamas calls for extending urgent relief material to...
- Two minors arrested amid clashes in Silwan
- IOF soldiers arrest Jordanian Lifeline activist
- Palestinian farmer wounded in IOF shooting
- Israeli soldiers attack Palestinian journalist
- Israeli soldiers violently suppress demo; sweep through...
- Medics: Israeli forces shoot at Palestinian farmer
- قوات إسرائيليىة تقتحم بلدة سلوان وتستعمل الرصاص الحي...
- Israeli forces shoot farmer in northern Gaza
- Report: Right wingers attack Israeli-Palestinian solidarity...
- Turkish FM denies change in demand for Israel apology
- Relatives of West Bank political prisoners hold sit-in
- Int’l campaign calls for end to world silence over...
- BDS Victory: IGLYO moves out of Israel!
- A Strike Against Free Speech: Ahmad Tibi on Boycott...
- Report: Egypt forces accidentally fire at Israeli...
- Report: Israel plans to build separation wall in Golan
- Disguised Israeli security men arrest 6 Palestinians...
- IOF troops to use putrid gas to disperse protest rallies
- Two Palestinians arrested for working in Jerusalem
- Bahar condemns IOF abduction of MP
- Dozens injured, arrested in IOF crackdowns on West...
- Clashes reported in Irraq Burin
- 15 injured as Israeli soldiers disperse rally near...
- Jewish settlers desecrate graveyard
The views expressed by the authors and/or contributors on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of Palestine Video or the other contributors thereof.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine