YouTube - "CRH complicity with Israeli human rights abuses must end" - John Dorman, IPSC at the CRH AGM 2011:
"IrelandPSC on May 4, 2011
On the morning of Wednesday 4th May 2011, over 50 human rights activists supporting the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign formed a 'human wall' outside the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Irish multinational CRH, while concerned shareholders inside asked serious questions about the role of the cement company in the building of Israel's illegal Separation Wall and illegal settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
CRH has a 25% stake in the Israeli Mashav group, which acts as a holding company for Israel's sole cement producer, Nesher. Nesher provide up to 90% of all cement sold in Israel, including cement used in the construction of Israel's illegal separation wall in Palestine, illegal settlements and checkpoints.
While activists staged a 50-strong human wall and mock Israeli checkpoint outside the gates of the Royal Marine Hotel where the AGM was being held, inside shareholders asked questions of the CRH Board of Directors.
During the discussion session, questions where asked by shareholders anxious about CRH's complicity in human rights abuses in occupied Palestine and the potential legal ramifications arising from this collusion. The legal aspect was of particular relevance as yesterday the Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign filed a complaint against CRH with the OECD accusing it of failing to comply with the human rights responsibilities of multinationals under OECD Guidelines.
In this regard, the Board was questioned as to whether the company was carrying our regular human rights audits to ensure the company was not violating the guidelines and what measures the company were taking to ensure their subsidiaries were complying with the company's human rights policies?
The Board's attention was also drawn to the recent findings of the Russell Tribunal on Palestine which found that CRH had potential legal liability for serious violations of international human rights law. The directors were asked on what basis the board could justify their reckless disregard for their shareholders interests given the very real risk of massive litigation by Palestinians displaced by the construction of the illegal Separation wall and settlements. (The text of the complaint is available here -- http://tinyurl.com/5s8ryba
Finally, in response to CRH's oft-repeated claim that they are merely a minority shareholder and have no involvement with the day-to-day running of their subsidiaries, it was pointed out that the company does not deny that it is involved with the strategic decisions being made by the subsidiaries. It was suggested that CRH's ownership of a quarter shareholding in Mashav and the commonality of directorships is evident proof that CRH is fully aware of the actions of their subsidiaries. The questioner noted that votes taken by the Board of Mashav are taken with the full knowledge of these same CRH directors, and the Board was asked why 'strategic decisions being made in relation to the sale of cement for the construction of settlements and Separation wall - which are illegal under international law - are not being seriously addressed by the company?'
Speaking after the AGM, IPSC Divestment Officer John Dorman explained that he was unhappy with CRH's responses: 'Unfortunately, CRH today gave us essentially the same unconvincing response as this time last year. They refused to engage with our questions in a serious manner, instead choosing to dodge them and fudge their answers. However we are sure that our continued highlighting of this complicity in grave human rights abuses and disregard for international law is forcing CRH to take note of the gravity of the situation.'
Mr Dorman concluded: 'The IPSC is simply asking CRH to adhere with their corporate responsibilities to respect human rights within their sphere of influence, and we remain confident CRH will ultimately divest from its Israeli subsidiary in the interest of both their shareholders and the Palestinian people. The IPSC will certainly continue our campaigning on this extremely important issue.'
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos