In its customary language of reply, Israeli forces shot and wounded three Palestinian fishermen off the coast of the Gaza Strip. Another report says the fishermen boat was shelled, setting it on fire.
PressTV - Gaza fishermen protest naval blockade:
Thu May 26, 2011 10:47PM
Ashraf Shannon, Press TV, Gaza
"Gazan fishermen held a sit-in at the fishermen pier to protest against Israeli naval blockade. Israel retained military control of Gaza's territorial waters under the so-called 1993 Oslo Peace Accords and agreed to allow fishing boats to sail into the Mediterranean for up to 20 nautical miles.
But in the last 10 years Gaza fishermen have been able to fish only in a narrow stretch of water up to three miles. Gazan fishermen sail within a three-nautical-mile zone most of the time, but despite that they have come under increasing Israeli fire and attacks.
According to health officials in Gaza Israeli forces firing towards Palestinian fishing boats since the beginning of 2010 or 2011. Have killed 10 fishermen and injuring a dozen others.
Meanwhile Hamas government civil defense forces held maneuvers to prepare to deal with any possible Israeli attack on fishing and international aid boats in Gaza's territorial waters.
Restriction on the zone in which Gazans are allowed to fish is reducing catches and according to health experts is affecting people's diets as they cannot afford another source of protein.
Thousands of people in Gaza are economically connected with the fishing industry, and experts warn the harassment of fishermen will put the entire population in deep trouble.
PressTV - Israeli soldiers injure 3 Gaza fishermen:
Fri May 27, 2011
"Israeli forces have shot and wounded three Palestinian fishermen off the coast of the Gaza Strip as Tel Aviv continues its grip on the coastal sliver.
The fishermen's boat caught fire after the incident which left the three Palestinians injured, AFP reported.
Palestinian officials in Gaza say the attack is not the first of its kind and aims to tighten the screws on fishermen living in the territory.
This comes after tens of fishermen organized a sit-in in the port of Gaza on Thursday, calling on the international community to intervene and help lift the Israeli maritime siege, reduce restrictions on their operations, and provide them with international protection.
The Israeli military controls Gaza's territorial waters, but under 1993 Oslo Accords it has agreed to allow fishing boats to sail into the Mediterranean for up to 20 nautical miles.
However, over the past decade, Gaza fishermen have been able to fish only in a narrow stretch of water up to three miles and even within that restricted area they come under increasing Israeli attacks.
According to health officials in Gaza, at least 10 Palestinian fishermen have been killed and dozens wounded since 2010.
Meanwhile, Hamas has held maneuvers to repel any possible Israeli attacks on fishing and international aid boats in Gaza's territorial waters.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine
Friday, May 27, 2011
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos