PressTV - PA accused of white-washing Israeli crimes:
"fptrue | October 05, 2010
PA decision at UN a "betrayal of Gaza victims' rights"
Press release, various undersigned, 29 September 2010
Source: The Electronic Intifada
As members of the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations, we strongly condemn the decision of the Palestinian Authority (PA) to support a UN Human Rights Council resolution that accords further time for ineffective domestic investigations, thus effectively failing to pursue accountability for crimes committed during the Israeli offensive code-named "Operation Cast Lead."
The death toll of Operation Cast Lead exceeded 1,400 Palestinians, 83 percent of whom were civilians, including 355 children; over 5,000 more were wounded. Nearly two years after the end of the Israeli offensive, the results of domestic investigations are self-explanatory: one conviction for stealing a credit card.
The figures above, coupled with the recent findings of the UN Committee of Experts on domestic investigations, clearly indicate that domestic investigations have failed to result in effective judicial mechanisms for victims due to a lack of genuine commitment to justice. International law, as reflected in the recommendations of the UN Fact-Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict [the Goldstone report], is unequivocal: when justice cannot be achieved through domestic mechanisms, recourse must be made to mechanisms of international justice.
Both the General Assembly and the Security Council have already been seized with the matter, therefore no further delay can be allowed and full implementation of the recommendations of the UN Fact-Finding Mission must be pursued. The Human Rights Council must expedite the cause of justice and recommend that the General Assembly urge the Security Council to refer the situation of Palestine to the International Criminal Court.
For decades, the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people have been forfeited in favor of political interests and an illusory peace process. The PA's decision not to pursue international criminal justice perpetuates this practice and gravely frustrates the rights of victims. By holding justice hostage to politics, the PA is extending impunity to Israeli military and political leaders. Justice is a necessary precondition for the achievement of any sustainable peace and must constitute the foundation of any peace negotiations.
Should the Member States of the Human Rights Council support such a politically-motivated resolution that whitewashes the rights of victims of international crimes, they will effectively fail to uphold their legal responsibility to ensure respect for international law and be complicit in the prevailing climate of impunity for violations committed in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
Once again, we urge the PA to act as a genuine representative of Palestinian victims and not to sacrifice their rights on the altar of political expediency.
Members of the Palestinian Council of Human Rights Organizations:
Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association
Al-Dameer Association for Human Rights - Gaza
Al Mezan Centre for Human Rights
BADIL Resource Center for Palestinian Residency and Refugee Rights
Defence for Children International - Palestine Section
ENSAN Association for Democracy and Human Rights
Jerusalem Legal Aid and Human Rights Center
Ramallah Center for Human Rights Studies
Women's Centre for Legal Aid and Counselling
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos