The sit-in was held at the Unknown Soldier memorial site location in Gaza and was attended by Palestinian prisoners' families and hundreds of people.
Report by Ashraf Shanon
Press TV - Gaza
Detainees in Israeli jails announce hunger strike
Published Saturday 25/09/2010 (updated) 27/09/2010 09:03
Source: Maan News Agency
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Palestinian prisoners detained in Israeli jails announced a hunger strike on Saturday to protest prison conditions.
The strike was in response to abuse by Israeli guards and the escalation of arbitrary procedures carried out by the Israeli prison administration, a statement from the Prisoners' Society said.
Head of the society's Hebron branch Amjad An-Najjar said events would be organized in solidarity with detainees. Prisoners' relatives would hold a sit-in outside the Red Cross office in Hebron on Sunday, he said, which Minister for Detainees' Affairs Issa Qaraqe and national head of the prisoners' society Qadura Fares would attend.
"We are looking forward to a wide range of participation in Sunday’s events held in solidarity with prisoners," An-Najjar said, adding that activities would continue until prisoners were released.
The Ministry of Detainees' Affairs said that as of September Israel was detaining almost 7,000 Palestinian prisoners in 22 prisons and interrogation centers.
The ministry's report said 103 prisoners had died inside Israeli jails due to medical negligence, torture, and assaults by Israeli guards, who in some instances fired live ammunition at detainees.
The report said 4,847 prisoners had been sentenced, 792 to life imprisonment, while 806 detainees were awaiting trial. The Israeli intelligence service is detaining a further 164 prisoners in interrogation centers, the report added.
According to the ministry, Israel is holding 199 Palestinians in administrative detention, a procedure established under Israeli military order 1591 that allows the Israeli military to hold detainees indefinitely on secret evidence without charging them or allowing them to stand trial.
Under the provision, individuals can be held for a period of up to six months without charge. The term is indefinitely renewable. Hasan Zahi As'ad As-Safadi, 32, from Nablus, has been held in administrative detention since June 2007, and two minors are currently being administratively detained, the ministry said.
Israeli peace group B'Tselem has said Israel's use of administrative detention "blatantly violates" international law and is "carried out under the thick cover of privilege."
The rights group called on the Israeli government "to release all administrative detainees or prosecute them, in accordance with due process, for the offenses they allegedly committed.
"As long as Israel continues to use administrative detention, it must do so in a way that comports with international law – only in the most exceptional cases, when there is no other alternative, and in a proportionate manner."
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Monday, September 27, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos