"As part of a North America book tour, Omar Barghouti spoke in Toronto about his newly released "BDS: Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions... The Global Struggle for Palestinian Rights" published by Haymarket Books."
Barghouti BDS book launch, 1:8:
"rabbletv on Jul 6, 2011
As part of a North America book tour, Omar Barghouti spoke in Toronto about his newly released 'BDS: Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions... The Global Struggle for Palestinian Rights' published by Haymarket Books.
In Part 1 of 8, Issam Algamani introduces Omar Bharghouti, a founding member of PACBI - the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic & Cultural Boycott of Israel http://www.pacbi.org/ and the Palestinian civil society's BDS campaign.
Barghouti argues that the power of BDS was reflected in the various dockworkers unions around the world (South African, Swedish, Indian, Turkish, and American) which refused to unload Isreali goods after the Freedom Flotilla atrocity.
The forum was organized by the Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid (CAIA) http://www.caiaweb.org/ ; OPIRG (U of T); Students Against Israeli Apartheid (SAIA) (Toronto); Faculty4Palestine; Palestine House Educational and Cultural Centre; and the Canadian Arab Federation The event was moderated by Kat Lapointe.
Video production: Anita Krajnc for www.rabble.ca
Barghouti on Arab Spring, 2:8
In Part 2, Barghouti shows how the BDS campaign and other Palestinian peaceful forms of resistance are gaining strength as a result of the Arab Democratic Spring. The Arab uprising has re-inspired Palestinians to take massive, nonviolent direct action, most notably this past May 15 on Nakba Day when thousands of Palestinian refugees joined at ceasefire lines in the Occupied Territories, including the Golan Heights and border along Lebanon "trying to exercise their inalienable right to return home peacefully and they were met by a very violent and deadly reaction" by the Israeli army.
Since the Oslo Accords in 1993, Barghouti says that a whole class of Palestinian politicians and intellectuals were co-opted by the corrupt influence of Western governments and Israel, which effectively undermined the Palestinian culture of resistance and struggle, especially among its refugee youth in the camps of Lebanon, Sryia and - to an extent - Jordan. "The Arab Spring came as a rude awakening, shattering this sense of hopelessness and powerlessness.... May 15 looked more like a 'refugee Intifada'..."
Significantly, Barghouti argues, "The main lesson learned from the Arab peoples' revolutions so far is that when a critical mass of the oppressed transcend their long entrenched fear and decide to fight for their rights - for justice, for dignity - nothing can stop them."
Barghouti on Israeli Apartheid, 3:8
Barghouti on deligitmization claim, 4:8
Barghouti on BDS anti Semitism charge, 5:8
Barghouti on BDS successes 6:8
Barghouti on cultural boycott & condiitions in Gaza, Q&A, 7:8
Barghouti & Art Young: Canadian Boat to Gaza 8:8
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos