Judith Butler speaks about BDS at Toronto's Israeli Apartheid Week 1 of 5:
"rabbletv on Mar 10, 2011
Judith Butler, world renowned scholar and writer, speaks to rabbletv before her lecture on 'The Academic and Cultural Boycott' of Israel during Israeli Apartheid Week in Toronto, March 9, 2011.
More than 500 attended the talk, with some students lining up four hours early to secure a front-row seat for the evening lecture. Butler said that she decided to take a more public and explicit stance about two and a half years ago when she signed on to the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) campaign. She says, that in the wake of ineffectual actions on the part of international organizations and state governments, 'BDS is the only way that citizens can call for the enforcement of international law.'
When asked about the role of academics in political struggles, she said, 'I think academics have to ally with other cultural workers - with artists and other public figures - who are regularly invited to Israeli institutions or to collaborate on projects in Israel.' She said that after a visit to Israel in 2004, her speaking engagement was interpreted as indicating her opposition to the boycott idea. She subsequently decided not to visit Israel for a number of years. She took a more explicit stand in 2008 after she worked out her own position 'and when BDS revised some of its position.'
BDS in the United Kingdom initially targeted not only Israeli institutions, but individuals too and differentiated between 'righteous' and iniquitous, apartheid-supporting Israelis. In the lecture, she joked that she always thought that 'righteous' was a bad word. BDS then narrowed its focus to Israeli institutions and government initiatives that support the illegal occupation of Palestinian lands.
Butler says, 'Now I will go to Palestine and I will speak at Birzeit [University in Ramallah] or other Palestinian institutions. I visit the Freedom Theatre of Jenin and I collaborate with a number of people at Birzeit University.'
In her lecture, she said that a driving force in the BDS movement, among civil society organizations in Palestine, is the Women's Studies Department at Birzeit.
She continues, 'But I will not speak at Israeli institutions. And, I think, that if there was an Israeli institution that came out explicitly against the occupation - really held to that position, publicly and consistently - I would consider speaking at such an institution. But to speak at an institution that does not oppose the occupation is to participate in the normalization of the occupation, so it's impossible at this point in history.'
Interviews and video production: Anita Krajnc for rabbletv
Part 3/5 Q&A
Part 4/5 Q&A
Part 5/5 Q&A
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine
Friday, March 11, 2011
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos