PressTV - US sends mixed signals on anti-Israel UN vote:
Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:8AM
Hank Flynn, Press TV, New York
"United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon's spokesman -- Martin Nesirky -- has laid down the rules in regards to what the Secretary General did -- and did not -- want to talk about.
Secretary General Ban spoke on the latest developments in the Midle East - most notably in Bahrain -- calling for sincere dialogue between the people and their governments. He did not -- however -- touch upon the pending resolution in the Security Council condemning Israeli settlements.
At noon -- Press TV asked the spokesman -- Nesirky -- about the resolution -- which will be voted upon on Friday -- and got this response.
American UN Ambassador Susan Rice has reportedly offered Palestinian diplomats a deal where the U.S. would agree to a statement affirming the Security Council 'does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlement activity.'
The Palestinian Authrority has rejected the American offer -- and a vote on a stronger -- binding resolution could come soon.
American officals have said repeatedly that the Security Council is not the place to hash out the issue -- and an American veto on the stronger measure is likely.
Critics are having a field day with the American flip flop -- including former American U.N. Ambassador John Bolton -- who questions President Obama's handling of the Egyptian revolution and other developments in the Middle East.
By close of business at the UN on Friday -- compromise statements were reportedly delivered to Arab diplomats at the UN -- with Security Council President Maria Luiza Ribeiro Viotti of Brazil advocating a stronger 'presidential statement.'
It is not known how that statement was recieved -- or if it will be voted on in the Security Council.
If nothing changes overnight -- however -- most signs point to yet another American veto.
The above video can also be seen on this YouTube video
Israel UN vote:
"PressTVGlobalNews | February 18, 2011
A draft resolution has been put to the UN Security Council, condemning Israeli settlement activities on occupied Palestinian land.
Press TV's UN correspondent Hank Flynn reports.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog. Activist and Other Videos on Palestine
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos