PressTV - Study finds Palestinians tortured in Israeli jails:
"Rana Kamal, Press TV, al-Quds
It is these very images Raed Abu al-Hummus remembers of spending more than six years in an Israeli prison.
Raed is one of many Palestinians who have experienced excessive torture in Israeli prisons. Now, a new report reveals 90% of these prisoners being physically and mentally tortured by the Israeli security service are deprived from consulting with an attorney or their family before confessions are made.
The study, produced by the Israeli human rights organization, Public Committee Against Torture and Palestinian Prisoners' Society, has found that during some periods when prisoners are kept from meeting with their lawyers, Shin Bet, begins its interrogation. The report cites these cases as a an act of 'systematic violence' and torture.
Many Palestinian prisoners who have testified have claimed that the excessive torture and the psychological abuse were merely some tools to get the prisoners to confess to crimes they were accused of. Ironically enough, the prisoners were granted a visit to a lawyer, but only after they have agreed to confess to the crimes.
According to the study, these interrogations go against international and Israeli laws. Abdilal was sentenced to life in prison for what he calls political reasons, but was liberated following the Oslo Accords in 1993. He says Israel disregards international laws and follows its own principles when it comes to Palestinian prisoners.
The authors of the study have unfolded that between 70% and 90% of the detainees in the years 2005 to 2007 were forbidden to meet a lawyer in order to provide council and assistance prior to signing a confession. The average time prisoners were isolated from the outside world was 16.7 days. Shin Bet has refused to reveal the number of detainees who had no access to legal services.
Public Committee Against Torture has called for new rules on when prisoners can be denied access to a lawyer and for cameras to placed in interrogation facilities to monitor questioning- hoping that basic human right will prevail.
Press TV - study finds Palestinians tortured in Israeli jails
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Saturday, January 1, 2011
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos