Visit Wadi Hilweh Information Center - Silwan For Further Information on What's Going on there. The site Features News in Three languages (Arabic, English, and Hebrew)
PressTV - Tensions high in east al-Quds over evictions:
"Ibrahim Husseini, Press TV, al-Quds
Palestinians in the Silwan neighborhood of east Jerusalem al-Quds are served with demolition orders almost on a regular basis. With each demolition come clashes and protests.
On Sunday Israeli Police intended to evict 11 Palestinian families from a building so that it can be turned over to the settlers to make way for a synagogue that existed in 1948 on part of the land, where the building stands today.
The Israeli police also evacuated Jewish occupants of a settlement unit in Silwan, because it was built without a proper permit.
But Palestinians who see the international law on their side want an end to such illegal practices.
However, Palestinian residents of Silwan supported by International solidarity members managed to foil the Israeli police plan to carry out the eviction, by clustering around the building.
The UN relief agency UNRWA has said Israeli demolition of Palestinian homes in the occupied West Bank including east Jerusalem/al-Quds has increased by 45 percent in 2010. Hundreds of Palestinians have been displaced as a result of such demolitions.
While Israel has granted thousands of permits for settlement construction on Palestinian lands in the last few months, Palestinians find it extremely difficult to get a construction permit on their own land. As a result at least 28% of all homes have been built without a permit.
And as the UN says nearly a quarter of the 250,000 Palestinians living in east Jerusalem are at risk of having their homes demolished by the Israeli authorities.
Meanwhile, on Sunday the Israeli police handed Adnan Geith, a Palestinian activist, an expulsion order and an ultimatum to leave Jerusalem Al Quds and its environs by nightfall for a period of four months.
The banishment order is based on a law from 1945, when Palestine was still under British mandate.
Under this law, the authorities can expel anyone without being criminally charged.
But Adnan Geith has vowed to resist the order. Israel annexed East Jerusalem which is considered occupied territory under international law in 1981, but Palestinians want to make it the capital of their future state.
Tensions remain high in Silwan in east Jerusalem al-Quds, but Palestinians have won the round as they have effectively confronted the Israeli police in a bid to resist eviction and expulsion orders.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos