See translated script below the video
Students Protest, Soldiers Tear Gas Elementary School On Anniversary of Yasser Arafat’s Death
Source: Palestine Solidarity Project
Soldiers tear gassed a girls elementary school in Beit Ommar this morning following a student demonstration commemorating the anniversary of Yasser Arafat’s death. Three hundred students ages 7 to 15 marched from the Beit Ommar il-Assasiyya boys school to the checkpoint at the entrance of the village waving Palestinian flags and chanting against the occupation. Several students gave speeches in memory of Yasser Arafat.
Soldiers responded by shooting teargas and sound bombs into Zaharet il-madayim, a Palestinian girls elementary school, and into the preschool next door. 30 girls ages 3 to 13 suffered tear gas inhalation. This morning marked the third time in the past two years that soldiers have shot tear gas into the school.
Yasser Arafat, former chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization and president of the Palestinian Authority, died on November 11 2004 from mysterious causes. Many senior Palestinian officials have expressed suspicions that that he was poisoned by Israeli secret policy, though such allegations have never been confirmed.
Beit Ommar Nov 11 2010 Soldiers Fire Teargas into School:
"PalestineSolidarity | November 11, 2010
Soldiers tear gassed a girls elementary school in Beit Ommar this morning following a student demonstration commemorating the anniversary of Yasser Arafat's death.
Below is a quick transcript of the interviews
- Female Teacher:
All of a sudden we realized the soldiers have arrived, Some of them were on foot (unintelligible). They entered the Kindergarten and threw two gas canisters.
We, of course, tried all we could to keep the children away from the gas and get them inside the classrooms, but no matter how hard we tried the gas spread inside the kindergarten and reached the children.
There were cases of light suffocation, but we tried to treat them. We were affected too.
One of the teachers who tried to avoid this situation was able to throw the gas canisters to the street outside.
There was gas and the children started to cry. they were scared
Adult female voice: What else did the soldiers do?
Child: They threw gas canisters.
Adult female voice: were you scared?
Adult female voice: How about the children, were they scared? did they cry?
Interviewed man states his name
Reporter: Can you tell us what happened at the school today?
man: all of a sudden, gas canisters were thrown in front of the school today. There was 30-40 girl student who were unconscious and we transferred some of them to the clinic in Beit Ommar [Ummar].
We don't know what went on, we suddenly realized there was gas in the school. We closed the doors and windows but that did not help. The girls from mostly first and second grade were all affected and were unconscious. We moved some of them to [unintelligible] and we took them to the second floor. However, we found that the rooms were filled with gas. We transferred them all to the clinic in Beit Ommar. At least there was 30 female students and I treated some of them myself, that is, personally.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Friday, November 12, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos