Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Settler Terror in Silwan, Jerusalem - Two Palestinian Residents Shot Dead by Settlement Guards

Note: The title immediately below has changed to One Silwan Resident Shot Dead by Settlement Guards – Massive Army Presence. I'll keep the title on the post and may change it later when the news is certain.

Two Silwan Residents Shot Dead by Settlement Guards – Massive Army Presence « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Wednesday, 22 September, 2010

"Very early this morning in Silwan Village, a patrol of private armed guards stopped near a group of unarmed Palestinian men who were on the Wadi Hilweh Street. According to eyewitness reports, the guards spoke provocatively to the Palestinians, and an argument took place between them. It was during the verbal argument that eyewitnesses say the settlement guards opened fire on the Palestinians men. The two injured were brought to Ein Kerem hospital. One of the Palestinians, Samer Sarhan, who is a father of five young children, was pronounced dead immediately upon arrival to the hospital.The second man is now confirmed as having died.

After confirmation was received of first Palestinian martyr from Silwan, clashes erupted in the village and are continuing. There are reports of numerous injuries, although the number of injured people is unknown. There is a massive force of police and army personnel in the village, and the entire street has been cordoned off by officials. Helicopters are monitoring the area from overhead.

Silwanic will update you as soon as possible regarding the situation here in Silwan Village, East Jerusalem.

Clashes in Baten el-Hawa « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Wednesday, 22 September, 2010

Presently there are reports of further clashes between Palestinian residents and Israeli forces in the neighbourhood of Baten el-Hawa. It is known that there are are a number of causalties, however ambulances are being delayed by Israeli forces.

Settlers Open Fire at Funeral Procession « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Wednesday, 22 September, 2010

"Moments ago settlers were firing live ammunition from the settlements at the funeral procession of one of the martyrs killed this morning by the private settler security guards here in Silwan. As a result clashes have broken out between Palestinians and armed Israeli military forces, empty Israeli buses have also been stoned. On the way to the cemetary an Israeli Police jeep was burnt, an Israeli Army jeep attacked and several Israeli cars destroyed.

The situation is very tense, and there are reports of armed settlers physically attacking Palestinian civilians and by-standers immediately after the funeral parade had passed by.

Maan News Agency: 2 confirmed dead in Silwan shooting:

"BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Officials in Israel confirmed reports Wednesday that two Palestinians were killed after an Israeli settler guard opened fire in a flashpoint neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem.

Officials at the Abu Kabeir forensic center said their teams received two corpses, but they have yet to identify the second Palestinian killed in the shooting in Silwan.

Shortly after the incident, Israeli forces clashed with Palestinian residents who were demonstrating against the killing of Samer Sarhan, 28, and the injury of three others earlier Wednesday morning.

Director of the Wad Hilwa Information Center Jawwad Siyam said an Israeli security guard opened fire at the four men, who were driving through the area at 5 a.m., chasing them down an alley. One of the injured remains in critical condition, the director said.

Israel National Police spokeswoman Loba Samri told reporters at the scene that Sarhan was known for participating in protests and demonstrators, offering a different account of the events leading to his death.

Samri said the guard had crashed his car in the area after which the four began pelting him with stones near one of the local settlers' homes. The guard then opened fire, killing one, she said.

She added that Sarhan's body was transferred to the Abu Kabeir forensic medicine center and that the guard was detained for questioning.

Earlier, a Wad Hilwa official said Israeli forces at the scene prevented the transfer of Sarhan's body out of the area for two hours.

Israeli Forces Tear Gas Surrounded Mourners « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Wednesday, 22 September, 2010

"After leaving the the Al-Aqsa Mosque and marching to the Bab el-Rhma Cemetary for the burial the mourners were surrounded by a large number of heavily armed Israeli military forces. There are reports from the people in the cemetary that they are being stopped from leaving and the Army is shooting tear gas into the crowd.

Presently large numbers of Israeli Army are taking up position around Wadi Hilweh St in preparation for the return of the funeral procession.

2 Palestinians shot dead in East Jerusalem al-Quds.:

"otraverdad1 | September 22, 2010

Silwan erupts after Israeli soldiers kill 2 Palestinian civilians:

"ann0ula10 | September 22, 2010

Jerusalem shooting sparks clashes | Video |

"Sep 22 - An Israeli security guard kills a Palestinian man in East Jerusalem on Wednesday, sparking clashes between local residents and Israeli border police.

Clashes in Silwan:

"aicvideo | September 22, 2010

The streets of Silwan were on fire Wednesday (09/22), as residents of the East Jerusalem neighborhood expressed their anger in light of the shooting death of a member of their community. 30-year-old Palestinian man Samir Solhan was shot and killed by an Israeli settler guard at approximately 4:30 a.m. Wednesday. Silwan residents clashed with Israeli riot police and soldiers all morning while police helicopters circled overhead. For more information, visit

Update September 23, 2010

Violence Continues in the Wadi Hilweh neighborhood of Silwan, East Jerusalem « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan: "Violence Continues in the Wadi Hilweh neighborhood of Silwan, East Jerusalem
Thursday, 23 September, 2010 | 12:19

The violence in Silwan, since the shooting of two Palestinians yesterday morning, has not calmed. This morning, less than one hour ago, settlers attacked a Palestinian man and his family on Wadi Hilweh street. The attack was culminated when the settlement guards began shooting. Although no one was dangerously wounded, many bullets have been collected and many people, including young children, were in a great panic and trying to escape from the frightening and dangerous situation.

The killer of the martyr Samer Sarhan has been released « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan: "The killer of the martyr Samer Sarhan has been released
Thursday, 23 September, 2010 | 13:46

The settlers’ guard who shot the martyr Samer Sarhan yesterday in Silwan was released yesterday on bail, the Israeli police having accepted the narrative of the armed settlers’ guard.

Armed private settler security guards in Silwan persistently use their weapons against the Palestinians, without care or restraint. They have caused many injuries in the past amongst the Palestinian population in Silwan, who consider the presence of the guards is a threat to their lives. Abu Nasser, a resident of Silwan said: “We are sure that the murderer will not be punished and perhaps even be given a medal for his crime. We are confident that the settlement leadership in the city of David and Beit Yonatan are the ones who take the decisions. The mission of the Israeli police in Silwan is simply to carrying out arrests and abuse Palestinians on the orders of the Elad settlement guards.”

Israeli police had brought the killer to the crime scene to re-enact the events. Said one eyewitness:” How can it be possible that this guard was in danger in the situation and yet he was chasing the martyr [...] It’s a death penalty in any sense of the word.”

Silwan funeral procession for Samer Sarhan, 22.09.2010:

"ISMPalestine | September 23, 2010

On the morning of 22.09.10 a privately-hired settler security guard shot and killed a Palestinian man, Samer Sarhan, age 32 and the father to five children. He was buried the same day , the police later blocking the exits to the cemetery and shooting tear gas at the mourners.

First a Video of the teargassing of the wake of the martyr Samer Serhan who was killed by a Settler Guard on September 22, 2010. See previous post here
This was posted a day earlier showing Israeli soldiers firing teargas and concussion bombs well into the night on September 23 in Silwan. The video centers around the location of the wake of martyr Samer Serhan. If you look closely you can see the teargas clouds flooding mourners out of the location where the wake was held. The video also shows Israeli forces firing teargas in Wadi el-Joze district in Jerusalem on Friday 24th.

احداث ليلة عزاء الشهيد في سلوان ويوم الجمعه واد الجوز:

"ameerq1 | September 24, 2010

2010-09-24 احداث ليلة عزاء الشهيد في سلوان ويوم الجمعه في واد الجوز
اطلاق قنابل غازية على عزاء الشهيد في سلوان و قنابل صوت في انحاء اخرى من سلوان ، وفي اليوم التالي اعتصامات ومظاهرات في عدة مناطق

Here are the updates from yesterday
Limited clashes in Silwan after Friday prayer « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Friday, 24 September, 2010 | 10:15

"Clashes erupted between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian residents in Silwan after Friday prayers, held in the protest tent in the al-Bustan neighborhood of Silwan. The clashes were concentrated in the neighborhood of Wadi Rababa. No casualties have been reported so far.

The area has been in a state of tension since the day before yesterday, when Samer Sarhan was killed by a settler guard.

Detention of two Palestinians from Silwan extended « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Friday, 24 September, 2010 | 10:17

"Two Fateh members were arrested this morning by a large number of Israeli forces. Adnan Ghaith, Secretary General of Fateh and Mamoun Abbasi were arrested in Silwan. The two men have been charged with incitement, and the Israeli Magistrates Court has already ruled that the detention be extended until Teusday, with the court hearing being declared a private one.

1 year old dead from tear gas inhalation in Issawiya, clashes intensify in Silwan « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Friday, 24 September, 2010 | 19:31

"Medical officials pronounced dead a 14-month old Palestinian boy today in the north Jerusalem village of Issawiya, as a result of extreme tear gas inhalation during an invasion of Israeli forces in the area.
Meanwhile in Silwan, violence has gripped the village for the third consecutive day. A molotov cocktail was thrown at the gate of the al-Hamra Spring, an area controlled by the Elad settlement organization in the Palestinian neighborhood of Wadi Hilweh. Confrontations are reported to be escalating outside the settlement complex of Beit Mayhaus in the Wadi Hilweh district, where more molotov cocktails are being thrown at the structure.

Israeli military forces are positioned outside the home of martyr Samer Sarhan and firing tear gas at the house. Sarhan’s family are still in mourning after he was shot dead by an Israeli settler guard on Wednesday, 22 September. Samar’s widow was transferred to hospital after the first rounds of tear gas were fired, suffering from asphyxiation.

Eyewitnesses report that Israeli military forces have been firing tear gas projectiles and taking pot-shots at Palestinians with rubber bullets in Silwan. There are also reports of live ammunition being fired at Palestinians, though residents cannot confirm whether the shots are fired by Israeli soldiers or settlers.

Maan News Agency: Toddler killed by tear gas in East Jerusalem: "Toddler killed by tear gas in East Jerusalem
Published yesterday (updated) 25/09/2010 09:58
Font- Font+
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian toddler was reported dead late Friday after Israeli forces fired tear gas amid clashes in a Palestinian neighborhood in East Jerusalem.

Medics said 14-month-old Muhammed Abu Sneneh suffocated after the gas was fired at residents and their houses in Al-Isawiya.

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said he had not received any reports of injuries and that police were using minimum force to respond to incidents in Al-Isawiya, Silwan and Ras Al-Amoud.

Clashes in the occupied city have been ongoing since Wednesday, when a settler security guard shot dead two Palestinians in Silwan.

The wife of 28-year-old Samer Sarhan, one of the Palestinians killed on Wednesday, was transferred to hospital on Friday night after inhaling tear gas, medics said. On Thursday, locals reported that Israeli forces fired tear-gas at Sarhan's home in Silwan, sparking further clashes.

At Sarhan's funeral on Wednesday, attended by over 1,000 mourners, violent clashes occurred and Israeli border guards fired tear gas canisters and rubber-coated steel bullets at the funeral procession.

Officials estimated that 3,000 Israeli police and border guards were deployed across East Jerusalem on Friday, as the city remained on a state of alert.

Checkpoints were installed at the entrances to several neighborhoods, sparking clashes as residents fought with Israeli forces in several areas, including Al-Isawiya and the Shu'fat refugee camp, where restrictions prevented any movement in and out of the area.

15 year old girl hospitalized following tear gas attack on Baten el-Hawa « Wadi Hilweh Information Center – Silwan:
Saturday, 25 September, 2010 | 00:13

"Invading Israeli military forces are currently causing widespread panic in the Baten el-Hawa neighborhood of Silwan, with several residents suffering asphyxiation from severe gas inhalation. Amongst the injured are 15 year old Ayha Abu Mayala, who has received treatment from the Red Crescent Medical crew and a 40 year old woman. The injuries come amidst the general confusion and violence that has gripped the area on the third day of violent clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinians acting in retaliation to the murder of Samer Sarhan on Wednesday, 22 September.

- Sent using Google Toolbar"

Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog