Palestine: Prospects, Priorities, Responsibilities:
"Palestine: Prospects, Priorities, Responsibilities
20 Jul 2010, 11:00
Diana Buttu talks of rediscovering her Palestinian identity, moving from Canada to Palestine ten year ago, and waking up to the reality of the failure of Arafat, Rabin and Clinton's Oslo Peace Process. She is joined by Australian Co-founder of Independent Australian Jewish Voices, Antony Loewenstein, in condemning Israeli industry profiting from the occupation, calling for global boycotts, just as there were with South Africa's apartheid. Politics in the Pub is moderated by Prof. Stuart Rees.
Diana Buttu is a Palestinian-Canadian lawyer and former spokesperson with the Palestine Liberation Organization. She is best known for her work as a legal adviser and negotiator on peace negotiations between Israeli and Palestinian organizations.
Buttu was born in Canada to Arab Israeli parents. She received a law degree from Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and a Ph.D from McGill University on compensation to Palestinian refugees. She began her work as negotiator in 2000, shortly after the outbreak of the Second Palestinian Intifada, as a spokesperson for the Negotiations Support Unit of the Palestine Liberation Organization. The Economist in 2005 termed her part of the closest thing to a Palestinian makeover.
Antony Loewenstein is an atheist Jewish-Australian political activist, freelance journalist, author and blogger based in Sydney. Loewenstein has written for The Guardian, Haaretz, The Washington Post, Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian, Sydney's Sun-Herald, The Bulletin, ZNet, The Big Issue, Crikey, CounterPunch and others. He writes a regular column for online magazine newmatilda.com and is a board member of Macquarie University's Centre for Middle East and North African Studies.
Lowevenstein is the Author of My Israel Question, on the Israel/Palestine conflict, The Blogging Revolution, about the impact of the internet in countries with repressive regimes and he contributed to the Verso Books release, A Time to Speak Out (2008), on the rise of global Jewish dissent. Loewenstein is the co-founder of Independent Australian Jewish Voices (IAJV).
Prof. Stuart Rees
Emeritus Professor Stuart Rees Order of Australia, is the Director of the Sydney Peace Foundation (founder of the Sydney Peace Prize), at the University of Sydney in Australia. From 1978 to 2000 Rees was Professor of Social Work and Social Policy at the University of Sydney. Rees has published numerous books and non-academic activities have included community development, probation services and social work in the UK and Canada; work with War on Poverty programs in the U.S.A.; and work with the Save the Children non-governmental organisation in India and Sri Lanka. Rees is a regular broadcaster on Australia's ABC Radio about the 'means and meaning of peace with justice'.
- Sent using Google Toolbar"
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos