US protesters take to streets against Israeli attack on Gaza aid ships - RT Top Stories
Published 01 June, 2010, 09:45
Edited 01 June, 2010, 15:29
Washington has voiced concerns over the recent conflict off the Gaza coast. Yet US authorities have stopped short of outright condemnation. Meanwhile, US citizens are taking to the streets to denounce Israel’s actions.
Palestinian sympathizers, critics of Israel and human rights watchdogs gathered in front of the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC, demanding that the embassy should be shut down.
There is no question among the protestors as to who should be held accountable for the incident.
"It was a cold-blooded massacre of people whose only crime was trying to extend aid and solidarity to a blockaded people," says a male protestor.
"There's no question as to who's to blame. The Israeli ships, in the middle of international waters – in other words, on the high seas – boarded other people's ships and they rappelled down ropes. They shot from helicopter on to those boats," says Brian Becker, an anti-Israel activist.
Israel attacking the international flotilla acted as a wake-up call for people who might be usually too distant from the reality of the Middle East conflict.
"If Americans would try to put themselves in the shoes of somebody in Gaza… Imagine for a minute, you’re living in a space twice the size of DC. You’re never allowed out. No one’s allowed in. You have no jobs. Unemployment’s like over 50 per cent. You’re dependent on handouts – rice, and some oil and that kind of thing – wouldn’t you hate the person that’s doing this to you?” says another protestor, Pam Bailey, a freelance journalist who spent five months in Gaza.
“If there’s a bright lining to this very dark cloud, it’s maybe, just maybe, people will finally sit up and take notice,” adds Pam Bailey.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos