Israel feels economic and cultural pressure for humanitarian flotilla raid - RT Top Stories
Celebrities are canceling concerts, companies are taking their money elsewhere, and trade unions want a rejection of Israeli goods.
Thousands took to the streets against Israel’s attack on an aid flotilla in the beginning of June, in which nine were shot dead. The international reaction was that of outrage against the Jewish state, on top of criticizing Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu for his settlement expansion policies, which are illegal under international law.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has banned Palestinians from buying Israeli products made in the settlements, though only around 2-3% of Israeli exports are settlement-made.
Pro-Palestinian campaigners want to widen the campaign calling for an international trade, cultural and academic boycott of Israel and targeting companies worldwide involved in projects connected to the Israeli occupation.
Eyal Cohen is miserable. For weeks he has been looking forward to the Pixies rock concert. However, much like Elvis Costello, Gil Scott-Heron and Santana, the group recently announced it was canceling its first-ever concert in Israel. Although disappointed, Eyal understands the reason behind the decision:
“It is because artists don’t want to be hated around the world that they don’t come here.”
It seems that more international artists do not want to be seen as supportive of Israeli government policy towards Palestinians, which English rock-star Costello said represented humiliation and intimidation.
Denmark’s largest bank, Danske Bank, has also announced it is pulling out of two Israeli companies involved in the settlements: Elbit Systems, which provides surveillance equipment for the separation wall; and Africa Israel, which builds Jewish houses in the West Bank. Both companies refused to talk on camera.
Israel responded by saying that the bank is singling it out unfairly and disproportionately compared to other countries with human rights issues.
“If the issue was really human rights you would think that they would start with China [or] Sudan, which of course has civil war going on now. You could pick many countries; you could really look across most of the Middle East and large parts of Africa and you would be hard pressed to find a country which has as good a human rights record than the little state of Israel,” believes international human rights lawyer Justus Reid Weiner.
Palestinians disagree. Only international condemnation will change Israel’s actions, they believe.
“It is the only abuser of human rights. The only major violator of international law that is accepted in the West as a democracy and receives enormous financial, academic, cultural and diplomatic aid from mainstream governments,” says Omar Barghout. Barghout is a founding member of the Palestinian campaign for the academic and cultural boycott of Israel.
“In other words, it is the West that puts Israel on a pedestal as an exception above international law,” he adds.
Israelis fear a boycott from Europe, which is the country’s largest export market. Already, the European Court of Justice has ruled that goods made in the settlements are not Israeli and therefore do not benefit from preferential access to EU markets.
Israel has rejected an international inquiry into the flotilla raid, bolstering the campaign by those who want to boycott the Jewish state. And the strains of that siege are now being felt not just by Gazans, but by Israel’s political leaders too, who are facing increasing international pressure to bring the blockade of the Gaza Strip to an end.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Monday, June 14, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos