On Gaza visit, UN humanitarian chief urges re-opening of crossings
2 March 2010 – The top United Nations humanitarian official today, on a visit to Gaza, called for the re-opening of border crossings to alleviate the suffering of the area’s population in the wake of last year’s deadly conflict.
Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs John Holmes saw first-hand the conditions in Gaza, just over one year after the end of the three-week Israeli military offensive, known as operation “Cast Lead,” which had the stated aim of ending rocket attacks by militants operating in the area.
The fighting left more than 1,400 people dead, injured 5,000 others and reduced homes, schools, hospitals and marketplaces to rubble.
In Beit Hanoun and Izbet Abed Rabbu, Mr. Holmes met families whose houses were destroyed and was briefed on humanitarian work being carried out, including by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA).
“I have a lot of admiration for the resilience and ingenuity of Gaza residents in trying to cope with the present circumstances,” he said. “The work of relief agencies to assist those who have to endure hardship is also remarkable.”
But he stressed that it is “disturbing” that one year after the fighting ended, “no meaningful reconstruction has yet started.”
Emphasizing the negative impact of the blockade and the tunnel economy, the official, who arrived in the region on Sunday for a five-day visit, said he witnessed their effects on people’s livelihoods and efforts to carry out normal lives.
While in Gaza, he also met with representatives from civil society and the private sector to discuss socio-economic conditions in the area, as well as with aid workers, who voiced concerns over the lack of hope for significant change and for shrinking humanitarian space.
Addressing reporters, Mr. Holmes underscored the unacceptability of the continuing blockade and appealed for the release of Israeli Corporal Gilad Shalit, who has been held for almost four years.
Regarding Mr. Shalit, he rejected any ties between the Israeli soldier’s case and the conditions of 1.4 million Palestinians in Gaza.
A dramatic change of policy, including the full re-opening of crossings, is essential to allow people to live the dignified lives they are entitled to, emphasized Mr. Holmes, who also serves as UN Emergency Relief Coordinator.
“Where there have been some marginal access improvements in some sectors during the past months, including the import of glass which we welcome, this falls far short of what is needed to rebuild livelihoods and avoid Gaza sliding backwards.”
Mr. Holmes’ first stop in the region was Jerusalem, where he commended senior Israeli officials for the country’s recent response to the earthquake in Haiti, in particular the very early deployment of a field hospital, and both sides agreed to work to strengthen cooperation between the UN and Israel in this area.
He also stopped in Ramallah, voicing concern over the situation in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, not least the so-called Area C, which covers 60 per cent of the West Bank and remains largely off limits to Palestinians.
Mr. Holmes is scheduled to head to Tel Aviv tomorrow.
Top UN relief official raises concerns over Gaza blockade.wmv
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos