Soldiers prevent filming:
"soldiers repeatedly prevent filming in the occupied territories."
28.2.10: Soldiers disturb and assault B'Tselem’s video photographers in the West Bank despite army’s declaration that filming is permitted
In early 2007, B'Tselem launched a camera distribution project in which it supplies video cameras to Palestinians living in areas in the Occupied Territories where confrontations commonly occur. The project’s objective is to aid Palestinians under occupation to bring the reality of their lives to the attention of the Israeli and international public, expose violation of their rights, and demand redress.
Since the project began, there have been many cases in which soldiers and officers prevented B'Tselem’s workers and volunteers from filming events in the Occupied Territories, even though there is no statutory prohibition on filming such events. In some cases, security forces used violence against the workers and volunteers, and there have also been instances in which soldiers confiscated the cameras. In their response to B'Tselem’s repeated complaints about these actions, army officials stated that there is no law prohibiting filming, including during operational activity, and that filming is forbidden only if its aim is to obtain confidential information or if it disturbs ongoing army activity. They also pointed out that the forces serving in the field have been given explicit directives regarding the matter.
Despite these clear statements, we find that, again and again, B'Tselem’s workers and volunteers are harmed while documenting human rights violations. This indicates a gap between the army’s official policy, which is presented to the world, and the actions of the forces in the field. It also shows that the army is not doing enough to explain to soldiers that it is forbidden to harm persons who are filming.
In recent months, B'Tselem has submitted several written complaints about soldiers harming persons filming on its behalf. As far as we know, no suitable measures have been taken against the soldiers. This policy transmits a message to soldiers in the field that if they assault photographers or damage their property, they will not be punished.
Documentation of events on video is one of B'Tselem’s principal tools in advancing the protection of human rights in the Occupied Territories. There is no substitute for visual documentation of an offense committed by security forces. Often, incidents occurring in the Occupied Territories are published in the broadcast media only if filmed material accompanies the report.
B'Tselem calls on the army to act in accordance with its statements and ensure that its declared policy is implemented in the field. The army must also take suitable measures against anyone who disturbs the photographers during the course of their work.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Sunday, February 28, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos