Dr. Raymond Deane speaks at IPSC Boycott Israeli Goods Protest - 27th Feb 2010
On Saturday 27th February 2010, members and supporters of the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign took to the streets of Dublin asking consumers and retailers to boycott Israeli Apartheid products in solidarity with the Palestinian people who continue to suffer incalculable misery at the hands of the Israeli state. The action marked the beginning of international Israel Apartheid Week.
At 1pm a crowd assembled at the Spire on OConnell Street, holding banners and placards and distributing leaflets. They were addressed by Dr. Raymond Deane, a founder member of the IPSC. Outlining the rationale for Boycotting Israel, Dr. Deane stated that Twenty years ago we found that the Boycott was the best weapon for ordinary people to help bring down the Apartheid regime in South Africa.
Dr. Deane continued: But isnt Israel completely different from South Africa? Yes, it is different because it is worse, and we have heard this from people like Archbishop Tutu, and Ronnie Kasrils a former Minister in the South African government who pointed out that they didnt bombard or starve the townships the way Israel does in the ghettoes they force them into in Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem. (The full address by Dr. Raymond Deane can be viewed in the video below)
After the short rally the participants divided into three groups and staged a peaceful protest and leaflet distribution outside the entrances to Jervis Shopping Centre.
The Jervis Centre hosts not only Marks and Spencer and Tesco who both stock Israeli produce, but also a Sea Spa stall - manned by ex-Israeli military staff - which sells products from the Dead Sea. Despite the peaceful nature of the protest, on a public street, the Jervis security called in the Gardai in an (unsuccessful) attempt to have the protest moved.
The picket lasted for an hour and a half, with 1000s of leaflets handed out to consumers, while people held large banners saying Boycott Apartheid Israel, Dont Stock Israeli Apartheid Goods and - in a reference to the use of Irish and other international passports by the Israeli Mossad in the criminal extrajudicial assassination of a Hamas member in Dubai last month - Boycott Israeli Terrorism.
Speaking about the Mossad assassination, IPSC Chair Dr. David Landy said: he misuse of Irish and other international passports by Israeli Mossad agents in the extrajudicial assassination of a Hamas member in Dubai is but the latest outrage perpetrated by the rogue state of Israel. In fact it is by no means the worst of Israel's crimes. However, all Irish citizens should be worried that Israel is now abusing Ireland's good name in the Middle East by dragging us into their dirty war against the Palestinian people. For this reason it is more important than ever that we step up the BDS campaign, both to try and help force Israel to comply with International Law and to show Palestinians that people in Ireland will not stand idly by while Israel abuses our own national sovereignty. Trying to convince Irish shoppers to boycott all Israeli products is the very least we can do in this regard.
Todays successful action marked both the start of international Israeli Apartheid Week and the beginning of the Dublin IPSCs monthly Boycott Israeli Goods action campaign which will see similar actions take place on the last Saturday of every month.
the IPSC would like to thank all those who took part in todays event and we hope to see many more concerned people on future actions.
End Israeli Impunity! End Israeli Apartheid! Free Palestine! Boycott Israeli Goods!
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
Saturday, February 27, 2010
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos