Dubai police name eleven Europeans suspected of assassinating Mohammad al-Mbhouh
[ 16/02/2010 - 11:07 AM ]
DUBAI, (PIC)-- The police in the Emirate of Dubai has announced on Monday the arrest of two Palestinian citizens, including an officer in the Ramallah-based PA authority, involved in the killing of Hamas leader Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh last month.
Eleven more European nationals, including six Britons, three Irish, one French, and one German were also accused of masterminding and executing the assassination.
"Soon we will issue arrest warrants against the 11 European suspects who used sophisticated technology to kill the victim. However, we don’t rule out the possibility that the Mossad (Israeli external intelligence apparatus) is behind the plan, but we shall wait till we arrest and interrogate the suspects to know who was really behind the assassination", said Dhahi Khalfan, the chief of police in Dubai.
He explained that the assassins arrived to the Emirate in three groups and left it within 24 hours, adding that passports of the killers were all genuine until otherwise proven.
He also revealed that the two arrested Palestinians were suspected of providing logistic support to the assassins identifying one of the Palestinians as a police officer in the Ramallah authority who had met with the leader of the group whose name is Peter, a French national.
The Dubai police exhibited photos captured by the surveillance cameras installed in and around the hotel where the crime occurred, saying that the assassins succeeded in decoding the door key of Mabhouh's room, while he was outside, and waited for him inside it before they suffocated and killed him.
The police added that the suspects left some medicines next to Mabhouh's body in an attempt to deceive the police investigators, confirming that the plan was cooked in the room of Peter who booked a room adjacent to that of Mabhouh.
The police also revealed that the assassin group used hi-tech communication tools that couldn’t be intercepted by the Emirates communication channels, and they paid in cash for the hotel instead of credit cards.
"We know each one of them and where they live, but we will chase them through international channels after we published their names and photos", underlined Khalfan.
For its part, Hamas's political leadership asserted that the involvement of two Palestinians, including an officer in Ramallah authority, confirms that the security coordination between the PA and the Israeli occupation has "gone beyond borders".
"Initial information revealed by the police in Dubai proves that Abbas's security departments were extending the security coordination with the Israelis outside the Palestinian borders", said Dr. Ismail Radwan, one of Hamas political leaders in Gaza, urging the Ramallah authority to explain the involvement of its security officers in the assassination.
Dr. Sami Abu Zuhri, the spokesman of Hamas in the Gaza Strip, hailed the efforts of Dubai police in identifying the killers, describing the revelation by Dubai police about the involvement of the Ramallah security apparatuses in the killing as "serious".
But Abu Zuhri confirmed that regardless of the nationality of the killers, Hamas still believes the Israeli Mossad was the party that masterminded the assassination of Mabhouh using a number of its agents to carry out the crime.
MP Dr. Salah Al-Bardawil, another Hamas political leader in the Gaza Strip, asserted that the burden now is on Fatah faction to explain its stand regarding the findings of the Dubai police, stressing that the two Palestinian agents should be prosecuted.
He also urged the Dubai police to coordinate with Hamas Movement and to furnish it with the information surrounding the crime, explaining that Hamas Movement was the first party concerned about Mabhouh, and has the right to prosecute his killers.
Moreover, Bardawil invited the countries whose nationals were involved in the killing to surrender them to the authorities in Dubai so that justice could take its course.
According to Dubai police, the two Palestinians escaped to Jordan immediately after the crime, but they were arrested there and turned over to Dubai police.
Dubai police hunt Hamas killers
Dubai's chief of police says an 11-member hit squad carrying European passports was responsible for last month's murder of a prominent Hamas member.
Mahmud al-Mabhuh was found dead in his luxury hotel room.
Police have said they will issue arrest warrants soon.
Two Palestinians suspected of providing logistical support have also been detained.
Al Jazeera's Ayman Mohyeldin reports from Gaza. (Feb 16, 2010)
Dubai Shows CCTV, Hunts Killers of Hamas Man
Dubai is demanding a global hunt for suspects it says are linked to the killing of a Hamas commander. Officials in the UAE city state released dramatic CCTV footage purportedly showing the suspects tracking the victim. (16 February 2010)
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos