Mosaic News - 1/14/09: World News From The Middle East
This is only a segment of the January 14 Mosaic News. If you wish to see the whole show, click the play button after you have finished watching the segment.
From Link Tv Episode Script
"Art on Israel's Separation Wall
Dubai TV, UAE
Presenter, Woman # 1
Artists created artwork on the separation wall criticizing racial discrimination and calling for peace. However, some see the artwork in a different way. While some believe that the murals keep the Palestinian cause alive in people’s minds, others believe that these murals make the wall look better, and can be interpreted as surrendering to the status-quo. Muhammad Al Said reports from Qalandia.
Reporter, Man # 1
The separation wall divides the West Bank, and wraps around its cities and villages like a huge snake. It has been used as a canvas by Palestinian and foreign artists to express anger and hope for peace. The wall is full of art rejecting racism and the transformation of Palestinian land into a big prison.
Guest, Man # 2
This is not a new idea; it emerged after the Berlin wall was built. Using the wall for displaying artwork is a process of learning and developing new ideas. Some of the foreigners come here alone; others come as an organized group. Therefore, there are different levels of cooperation.
Reporter, Man # 1
The artwork created by foreigners and Palestinians gets mixed reviews. Some believe that it makes the wall look better, but they want it to look the way it is so it can reflect the ugliness of Israeli racism.
Guest, Man # 3
There is some confusion here. Yes, some artwork is beautiful but regardless of how beautiful it is, they will not make the wall look better. Also, this art was not intended to help the Palestinians accept the wall, it is the opposite.
Reporter, Man # 1
Some look positively at these artworks, because they can see them as calls to resist the separation wall. Occupation soldiers cracked down on the artists until foreign artists painted peace doves on large areas of the wall. When Israel built the wall inside the 1967occupied territories, it wanted it to mark the final border. Now Israel is talking about swapping remote areas in exchange for land isolated by the wall. The Palestinians, however, refuse the wall and use it today for huge murals. Muhammad Al Said, Dubai Television, near the Apartheid Wall, Qalandia.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos