Saffa June 27, 2009 Mohammed Prt 1:
26 Activists Detained, Scores Beaten as Soldiers Prevent Farmers From Accessing Their Land in Saffa
from Palestine Solidarity Project by PSP
June 27, 2009–As has been done since the beginning of April when the Israeli military began actively preventing members of the Soleiby family of Beit Ommar from accessing their agricultural land near Bat ‘Ayn settlement with a series of “Closed military zone” orders, Israeli and international activists joined the family in an attempt to pick fruit on their land. This week, however, the military went to extreme measures to prevent the activists and farmers from getting anywhere near their land.
In the last four weeks, 13 Israelis and 3 Internationals have been arrested while accompanying the farmers to their land, though settlers who have attacked the farmers and activists, throwing stones at them, have been allowed to enter and leave the area without any intervention by the military or police. This week 35 Israelis and 10 Internationals went along with scores of women and men from three extended families towards their land. Just past the houses, however, nearly 20 Israeli soldiers confronted the group, insisting that if the Palestinians had their ID’s they would have been allowed to work if there were no Israeli or Internationals present. This was grounds, therefore, for them to viciously attack the group. For over an hour, the soldiers, soon supported by dozens of border police and observed from high-ranking military officials, beat and arrested 14 Israeli and 2 international activists.
Soldiers seriously injured a reuters photographer, an Israeli activist was taken to a hospital and treated for a potential broken hand that was injured from a soldier twisting it behind her back. An Palestinian coordinator from PSP was also severely injured in the leg. Even with Palestinian medics present to evacuate him, soldiers first attempted to arrest him, placing him in the back of a military jeep. Eventually, they were convinced to turn him over to the ambulance, when he was taken to a hospital in Hebron.
The group was then pushed back into the village, and when remaining Israeli activists, in their rented vans, attempted to leave the village, the ID’s of the drivers were taken and the entire group, 10 additional people, were also arrested. One group of Israelis were attacked by the border police on the way to the police station, beaten with batons while handcuffed in the back of a jeep.
After being taken to the police station in Gush Etzion, only 1 of the 26 detainees was interrogated, and after a few hours the entire group was released without charge, but with a fair amount of bruises.
Israeli soldiers gang up on one of the Palestinian farmers and break his leg.
Palestine Video - A Palestine Vlog
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P1] The Threads of the Conspiracy [P2] Crushing the Revolution
- ***Alnakba [The Catastrophe] - [P3] Ethnic Cleansing [P4] Nakba Continued
- **Al Nakba [La Catástrofe] - [P1] Los Hilos de la Conspiración [P2] Aplastar la Revoución
- **AlNakba [La Catásrofe] - [P3] Limpieza Étnica
- *A Palestinian Woman
- *Azmi Bishara - Interview:
- *Azmi Bishara on Israeli Apartheid
- *Azmi Bishara: The Last Colonial Question
- *Blood & Religion, Unmasking the Israeli State
- *De Facto State of Lawlessness
- *Drying up Palestine
- *Edward Said - On Orientalism
- *Edward Said: Lecture The Myth of 'The Clash of Civilzations'
- *Edward Said: Memory, Inequality and Power: Palestine and the Universality of Human Rights
- *Edward Said: Palestine, Iraq and U.S. Policy
- *Francis Boyle - Palestinians and International law
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 1 - Diana Buttu"
- *From Occupation to Enclosure: Fragmenting the Palestinian State 2 - Amira Hass"
- *George Bisharat - Ending the Palestinian Nakba
- *Ghada Karmi at Yale
- *Ghada Karmi: Why Israel is a Failed State
- *Ilan Pappe - Interview
- *Ilan Pappe - Israel's 1967 Plan for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- *Ilan Pappe on the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- *In the Spider's Web
- *Interview: Ghassan Andoni
- *Israel's Secret Weapon (Israel's WMD)
- *Jeff Halper - Israeli Apartheid and the Paths to a Just Peace
- *Jeff Halper- The United States, Israel and the American Jewish Community
- *Jenin Jenin
- *John Pilger - Palestine is still the issue
- *John Pilger - The War on Democracy
- *Landscapes of Occupation in Palestine
- *Muhammad Jaradat & Eitan Bronstein: 1948 and the Right of Return
- *Noam Chomsky - Middle East Crisis
- *Noam Chomsky on Gaza - MIT
- *Norman Fikelstein - The Israel-Palestine conflict: what we can learn from Gandhi
- *Norman Finkelstein speech at Columbia University (3 parts video)
- *Occupation 101
- *Off The Charts - If Americans Knew
- *Palestine Street -1- The Lost Bride
- *Palestine Street -2- The Bride in exile
- *Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- *People and The Land: The Story of a People Under Occupation
- *Phyllis Bennis - "Dual Occupations: Iraq and Palestine in Bush's Empire"
- *Rachel: An American Conscience
- *Rashid Khalidi - Palestine: 40 Years of Occupation, 60 Years of Dispossession
- *Rep. Paul Findley Dares to Speak Out -- Again! AIPAC exposed
- *Salman Abu Sitta: Atlas Palestine
- *Salman Abu Sitta: The Geography of Occupation
- *Secret WMD in Israel
- *Technical Error at Beit Hanoun
- *Tegenlicht ('Backlight') A Documentary on the Israel Lobby -
- *The Bases Are Loaded: US Permanent Military Presence in Iraq
- *The Easiest Targets: The Israeli Policy of Strip Searching Women and Children
- *The influence of the Israel Lobby on American foreign policy
- *The Iron Wall
- *The Israeli Wall in Palestinian Lands
- *The Killing Zone
- *The Unrecognized
- *This is Not Your War
- *Wall of Shame
- Watch "If Americans Knew" Videos
- Watch Alternate Focus Videos
- Watch B'Tselem Videos
- watch ISM Videos
- Watch pdxjustice Videos